 Trains / 30594
Re: Train Layout Modules - IR Train Wheel Grip?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 23:42:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Wayne Jackson wrote:
Did you electrify the cross-over, or are you use two motors either end
connected?

For the time being I'll be running 9V trains on the main lines, which will also
be OK in the yard road nearest the main lines.  That road also functions as an
exchange siding, where I'll swap from a main line engine to a shunter.  For the
time being I plan for any shunting engine going over the crossover to be Power
Functions compatible.  The Class 14 diesel (the green one in the pictures) has
BBB wheels, so it is already compatible, though it needs an adjacent wagon for
the rechargeable battery box - maybe a brake van.  I have prototyped a Class 02
(small 0-4-0 diesel shunter) chassis and was thinking also of a Class 08
(0-6-0), both planned to have BBB wheels.  The '08' might have room for the
battery box inside it if the SNOT requirements are less than for the '14'.

I had thought of using a motor at each end of a long bogie vehicle with a wire
connecting the two (such that at least one wheelset of each motor would make
contact either side of the crossover when traversing it).  This is the format of
my standard main line diesel locos.  However, the long chassis wouldn't fit well
with the sharper curves in the yard, nor the planned loading facility round the
corner from the crossover (limited clearance).  Motors on 2 separate shorter
vehicles, linked with a wire, is a possibility - I could put motors under some
of the ballast hoppers.  My Pendolino train already has motors at both ends with
wires between, so the concept will work as you suggested.

The Power Functions solution with no metal wheels would allow me to move a
shunting engine in the same section as the main line engine, to pilot the train
into the loading facility for instance.

I hope that by the time the layout is finished (so far 20 modules of about 120),
the full potential of Power Functions trains will be established and will inform
my decision on a permanent solution - whether to stick with PF for the yard or
whether to seek the best crossover electrification solution!

Another thing that has a bearing on this is the lack of grip from wheels used in
the current IR train (assuming that the use of these might continue for PF
trains).  Do we have yet a solid solution to the lack of grip?  Is it to use
white belts, or could black belts from 9V train motors be used?

Mark