 Trains / 30289
Re: Where have the axels gone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 13:03:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Damon Burke wrote:
Does anyone know where the axel element for the trin wheels on the shop@home PAB
have gone? Can you still get them? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I've got a theory on this - and you're welcome to test it!  First, you can still
order a train wheel axle by creating an LDD model of the train wheel set and
ordering it (kind of silly, but it works).  If you do this, LDD will report that
the price of the wheelset is USD 2.49.

Now, on PAB, this wheelset is not listed, but most of the components are (listed
in the Transportation section) - the wheel-holder, wheels, and a mysterious
element referred to as "Prepack With 4 Axle".  I suspect the latter is the
little paper box containing a train axle.  Not clear on whether it contains one
axle or four, though.  If you add up the prices for these components, you get:

0.19 each x2 Train Wheel Ø16.6/Ø23
1.57 Prepack With 4 Axle
0.54 Bearing Element 3X6

Add 'em up, and you get 2.49, the same price as in LDD.  I believe this confirms
that the Prepack with 4 Axle is actually the train axle.

2.49 per wheel-set seems a little on the high side, and I'm wondering if the box
containing axles holds one or four.  I think I've seen four in other boxes (such
as in the Hobby Train Box).  If the box really contains 4 axles, this brings the
cost per wheel-set (if you buy four) to 1.31 instead of 2.49 - this sounds like
a more reasonable number.  So, that's what I'm hoping for - if you end up
ordering the Prepack with 4 Axle part, be sure to let us know what your results
are!

(This also would mean that if you make 4 wheel-sets in LDD and order them, you
might just end up with 16 axles...)

-Jordan