 Trains / 30068
Re: LDCC control from PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:23:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Bachmeier wrote:
   Thanks for posting the video, it is pretty impressive. Are you using two RCXs in this layout, one controlling the trains with LDCC and the other for sensors? What type of sensors are you using? How about adding some photos showing the hardware (RCXs, sensors etc). Thanks.

It is really nothing spectacular. Yes, there are 2 RCXs (one running LDCC and the other one having sensors and sending readings to the PC). The sensors are connected to the RCX through Mindsensors-multiplexers, they are plain reed switches, as shown here. As said, I plan on replacing the 2nd RCX with a specially designed device that will connect using the serial port.

The DCC decoders are a mix of Digitrax DZ123, LokSound 3.5 and Hornby R8215 (the last ones being cheap & hypersensible).

   I have been thinking about using a Lego 9751 Control Lab interface as an input device for sensors. It has 8 inputs and 8 outputs and can be programmed using Robolab and connects to the computer by serial port.

Sounds also interesting. Can you use all ports for passive sensors? I never tried using that device, but I’ve read something about 4 of inputs only being meant for active sensors.

Cheers,
Matija