 Trains / 29838
Re: My new approach to modular brickscaping...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 05:53:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Garrison wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Gereon "Jerry" Stein wrote:

http://www.zweistein.de/lego/brickscaping_landscape.html

True, it's not perfect yet, but I'd like your opinions on the modular
approach I chose.

[snip]

I wonder if using Technic pins to connect modules is over-engineering it.
In my experience (with, for example, COLTC-standard hill modules)
alignment per se is not the issue---it's the big seam you get between
modules.  That can be easily addressed by using a few plates to tie
modules together, which simultaneously solves any alignment issues.  Pins
just make it harder to setup and tear down.  Similarly, the Moonbase
standard calls for Technic pin connectivity, but the pins are really only
used for attaching floating corridors and endcaps---they're just not worth
the effort for attaching adjacent modules.

Technic half-pins are better for alignment (and a few plates as you mentioned
above) when considering the COLTC-standard hill modules -- makes set up/tear
down much more simpler.  Like you said Technic pins are better for "stronger"
connectivity between modules, if there is a need for it.

A COLTC module standard evolved first within COLTC for everyone within the club
to build to -- a baseplate, one layer of Technic bricks, then a plate -- this
gave people a base to build upon and it allowed for electric to run
under/through a module if needed, with the smallest amount of brick.  The hill
sections evolved from this initial standard... Looking back, the Technic bricks
might be over kill, but then it helped with matching up full baseplate modules
with 1/2 or 1/4 baseplate modules.  Initially, we thought about connecting
everything up with Technic pins, but quickly learned that it was a PITA.

--Mike.