 Trains / 29538 (-20)
  Sydney LEGO Train Club

G'day everyone! Last weekend, the Sydney LEGO Train Club (SLTC) had a very successful showing at the 2007 Annual Australian Model Railway Association (NSW) Exhibition. (URL) LEGO Train Club (SLTC) at 2007 AMRA (NSW) Exhibition>> For those (...) (17 years ago, 3-Oct-07, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) The topic of battery life and pulling power came up today - (URL) click here> for that thread. Hopefully it can address some of your concerns. (URL) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: The Future of Trains

In lugnet.trains, Didier Enjary wrote: SNIP (...) Ironically, in the UK, when the (US) Winsconsin Central took over the main freight operator, EWS, they reduced the use of electric locos, presumably because they couldn't get their heads round using (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: The Future of Trains

In lugnet.trains, Martin Srb wrote: SNIP (...) The (URL) Tim (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Ultra Sonic Super Fantastic Kids Day Weekend 2007!

Hello fellow LEGO Fans! Please join us for the: Ultra Sonic Super Fantastic Kids Day Weekend 2007! ==== PNC Arts Center - Holmdel, New Jersey. EXIT 116 on the Garden State Parkway. FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE (4 URLs) October 6th - 11am to (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.events, lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, FTX)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) SNIP (...) In France nowadays (and most part of Europe), almost all freight engines are electric. (thank to a highly available hydroelectricity and nuclear electricity). It remains of course some diesel engines but they are replaced for (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Two-pole contact is needed. But most of the electrified railways use only one overhead wire (like the ex-Soviet loco in the photo). The only examples of more-wire systems I know about, are deep in the history: --Siemens' experimental (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) The only issue with this is that standard catenary has a single wire to deliver current, and metal rails act as the "ground" for the circuit. One could instead adopt a setup like that used for electric buses in cities such as San Francisco, (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) This reminds me - has anyone built a fully functioning overhead rail electric train layout where the power is provided by the overhead wires like this: (URL) This would alleviate the need for powered rails and do away with the battery issue. (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: The Future of Trains

Eric, I am considering buying stock in battery manufacturing. How about you? I have probably already spent a considerable sum of money on powering my Mindstorms robots. Maybe someone will design a butane based fuel cell that will work. Or perhaps a (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Hey Harvey, I think you missed the point in the original post by Steve. The next "Train" will have motors as well. What we do not know is if the motors will fit in existing locomotive designs allowing the trains to look realistic. If the new (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  The Ruby Runner

I was recently commissioned to create a red version of my Henry Dreyfuss inspired streamlined hudson, named 'The Ruby Runner'. To get my mind off of the death of 9v trains I decided to share the pictures of the finished product. So here it is: (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  A much needed corner building

Hello, I had a vacant lot on a rather prominent area of my layout for way to long and finally got the inspiration to fill it last week. (URL) am pleased with the way the building came out. It is inspired by a few buildings I have seen over the past (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.town, lugnet.trains) !

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Absolutely. So does powering the system through the rails, actually - in order to control multiple trains you need carefully isolated sections of track (which LEGO never made in the first place) and rigorous control, as well as booster (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: The Future of Trains

Well, since it is Oct. 1, 2007 today. I have decided to write-off 2008 as a DEAD year for LEGO trains. The question now is when in 2009 is the 'new' system gonna be released or when will 'we' AFOL's see pictures, set numbers and prices etc. I have (...) (17 years ago, 2-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) I know how you feel, my recent re-involvement in the hobby has come to a screeching halt. (...) Be sure to tell those interested that the 9V system is discontinued. After all, this is the calamity of the LEGO Group -- they brought this upon (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) I believe this to be a very bad decision, to discontinue the 9volt system at this time. Perhaps the new electrical system will be better, but at this time, it is still in the planning stage and is curently scheduled to be out in 2009. What do (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) It does not make sense in strictly monetary terms for TLG to continue to produce a line that is not directly profitable. However, we have raised the point before that numerous intangible benefits arise from the 9V Train line. Community (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.trains) !

  Re: The Future of Trains

(...) Good question for those, like me, without much of a train collection (yet). I guess I could be considered "lucky" that I don't have the investment in track and accessories but I cannot even do much more than a really big oval with what I have. (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: The Future of Trains

I'm really afraid of what will become of this decision. What to do now? Stock up on any remaining 9volt stuff I can get? Switch back to 6-wide trains if these new motors aren't strong enough to pull 8-wides? Cross my fingers and hope this decision (...) (17 years ago, 1-Oct-07, to lugnet.lego, lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact