 Trains / 29508
Re: EMD FT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:18:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman wrote:
After three years of brooding, I've finally decided to build my own
interpetation of the excellent 10020 Super Chief set. In doing so, I wanted to
pay homage to the 'Diesel That Did It' -- namely EMD's WWII-era FT
locomotive...while still keeping in the spirit of the original 10020 set.

Introduced in 1939, the FT is the diesel locomotive widely credited by
historians with ending the reign of the steam locomotive in North America.

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/38031

I have built the locomotives as a four-unit A-B-B-A configured set: numbered 4A
(cab), 4B (booster), 4C (booster), and 4D (cab)

As with my earlier ALCO Roadswitcher, the models are rendered in bley and red,
with black running gear. Details include the four portholes along the sides of
the carbody (a fifth porthole and auxiliary headlight was added to the booster
units for hostling). The FTB unit also has the correct overhang at the rear.
Boxy dynamic brakes flank the four exhaust stacks on the roof, while I used
slopes to break up the profile of the intake grilles.

Fully assembled, the model measures over 42 inches in length, by far the longest
locomotive I have built thus far.

-HRH

I always appreciate people knowing and giving proto info in their posts. Things
like the different truck spacing help to nail the character of the thing. I
wasn't sure about the opposing slopes on the side grills until I looked at some
pics of the real thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_FT but now I can see why
you did it. I'm still not 100% convinced, but hey, I can't think of a better
solution!
Do you have a pic of your whole A-B-B-A lash-up?

Tim