 Trains / 29059
Re: Train Station made from Corner Café
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:23:49 GMT

   Great stuff Ted! I also purchased the café, which in my opnion does indeed contains the right pieces for a classic-looking station. I was actually thinking of buying a 2nd set to make a ‘Grand Station’, you did beat me on the idea of a station though, with honours!

Cheers, L.

Thanks Laurent. After I completed the station, I did have the same thought of getting a second cafe to extend it. I guess that is the way of the AFOL, always wanting to build more... I’m sure you will beat me to that, and I would enjoy seeing the results.

A second set would really make it a grand station. From building it from one set, a second set would allow for much more design flexibility:
  • As it is now, the platform and glass canopy are just one passengar car length. It would be nice to be at least two car lengths.
  • The ‘station cafe’ area was a little constraining on how I could lay it out. I would have liked separate tables, but the layout seemed cramped.
  • The ticket-office area is a bit cramped too for my liking, especially with including the stairs. I could have extended it to the platform wall, but I liked the idea of a railing on each side of the platform arch. (I did also consider using an outside stairs to the second floor, to use the left-over door piece for access. However, I didn’t have many short blocks left to make a hole in the side wall).
  • Ideally, I would have liked the 2nd floor to be an open cathedral ceiling instead, but the structure was a bit of a challenge. As it is now, I tried to make it more of a station office/lounge.
  • Closing the back wall over the platform was a challenge too. I did try a flat grey wall at first, but I opted for an open balcony instead. A second set would help close that off with more windows and red ‘roof’ pieces.
  • You could also spell out a lot more words with the ‘HOTEL’ sign too...
BTW - if anyone has any ideas on how to incorporate those ‘white skis’ that were used over the front door I would love to hear them... as it is now, I may just buy a bunch of min-figs and let them go on a ski holiday :).