 Trains / 29053
Re: Help with Orient Express...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:21:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Laurent Bettens wrote:
   Hi all! With the attic being shaped up to become my hobby room, I’m designing plans to link all the existing sets & stuff I have created into my own Lego world. The main challenge will be the trains that will ride through the whole set-up. I’ve chosen the KT104 Loco & 5x passenger wagons n° 10015 for my main train set-up, the Orient Express.

Has anybody some pointers, ideas, suggestion in how to turn this one into a minifig Orient Express? The idea is to start within a European type city and climb through several setting going through a mountain at the top.

Looking forward to your experience/feedback.

L.

Hi Laurent,

Firstly I think that it really depends what style of layout you want to have. If you just want something that looks vaguely like an Orient Express but made from LEGO then you probably should just find pictures from movies and the likes and try to convert it.

If you want to do something more realistic you’re going to need to start designing and getting ready to buy stuff (most notable Big Ben’s Bricks wheels). You’d want to find out exactly which loco you want to model, which cars you want to make etc. If you look at Ben Beneke’s trains you can get an idea of how complicated a really good looking engine is.

But without a bit more information about what you want, it’s kind of hard to give advice.

Tim

My advice, if you haven’t already bought the sets, would be to see if you can get the blue version of the coaches. The Orient Express coaches are all blue for the sleepers and blue below and a light cream above for the day coaches and restaurant cars. With a bit of playing with the window spacing, some white windows and changing the end balconies to slightly narrower enclosed vestibules (maybe four or five wide) I think you could get a passable Lego-ised version. I think the loco you have chosen is a reasonable generic representation.

As the other Tim says, it all depends on how far you want to go with making it accurate. You could go eight wide and use dark blue!

There are some pics of the cars here

(The other) Tim

Thanks ‘other’ Tim! Unfortunately I had already purchased the green wagons (5 of them!). So now I’m not too sure whether I should just go on with these... That’ll learn me for being too quick in ordering & not researching a bit more in depth...

Anyway, thanks for the info & link! Cheers, Laurent