 Trains / 29009
29008  |  29010
Subject:
LDD slug models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:57:58 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Here’s my take on a yard slug. Slugs are just frames with traction motors mounted on the wheels. The traction motors are fed from a slightly modified (added power sockets) diesel/electric locomotive that is coupled to the slug. At low speeds, the locomotive’s engine produces more power than its traction motors can use so the slug increases the traction power at a low cost.

Some slugs are specially made but most come from old, worn-out locomotives that have had their engines removed. Road slugs are used on slow moving trains (thanks to bad track conditions) and their external modifications are usually limited to sheet metal replacing no longer needed access doors and cab windows. Often, the fuel tank is kept and helps increase the mother locomotive’s range. Yard slugs are used for switching jobs. Their hoods are cut down to increase visibility in this more accident prone environment. While they’re at it, the shops make other modifications, such as; removing the useless fuel tank, adding larger compressed air tanks for the frequent braking required in a yard and even shortening the frame so the slug is less cumbersome.

I made my slugs in matching colors to my Montreal, Maine & Atlantic locomotives (one grey and one red). I had to use artistic license since MMA doesn’t use slugs. The model is based on those used by CN. In an earlier life, they were 1st generation EMD GP-9s (of which CN had many) that were modified in the railroad’s own shops.

CN slug on rrpicturearchives.net