 Trains / 28993
Re: Save the 10183 trains!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 05:10:58 GMT

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

In the end I could live with using LDD and build from the PC screen. With new
bricks flying into the model, you can see (sometimes guess) where they are
added. And you avoid the loads of paper prints.

Unfortunately, that won't work for me. My computer (typing on it now) is
running 64 bit Ubuntu Linux. I've managed to get MLCad and TrackDesigner
running under 32 bit Wine (Windows emulator), since 64 bit Linux is happy
to run 32 bit programs. Took a bit of messing around...

But, I figure the chance of LDD running under Wine is pretty close to nil.
Also, my old computer, which I could probably re-install Windows 95 on,
is too underpowered for LDD, and LDD doesn't run under 95 anyway. So, I'm
stuck - I'll have to try to get Lego friends to install the software, and
print out the instructions for me, since it sounds like LDD won't let them
export them into a form that I can print myself.

The suggestion of a DVD sounds pretty good to me. I don't build in front
of my computer - I build on my dining room table. I've done a little bit
of stuff from the computer (building brick domes based on a program a friend
wrote), and find it very annoying - going back and forth all the time.

I bought 5 copies of the Hobby Train set, so I've got a fair bit of money
invested in this!

The other thing that Lego could do for folks like me is to sell us printed
instructions - I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price ($30.00?)

-Chris Gray