 Trains / 28754
Re: "UCS" LEGO Factory MOC: GP-38
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:56:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
   I present my first venture into the world of 10-wide LEGO Factory train creations, a GP-38 locomotive in CSX-like colors.

A while back, there was some discussion about UCS train models, so I created this as a response. It can be used as a static model, though it could also be adapted for use as a working locomotive. I tried to make it as realistic as possible, within the constraints imposed by the LEGO Factory parts assortment. The model makes use of more unusual colors by Factory standards. The cab is nearly all SNOT, so it is possible that upon building, one will find revisions needing to be made, though I tried to make sure there were no design “bugs”. And, the model builds on Paul D’Urbano’s very good idea on how to do handrails in Factory without flex tubing. The radiator design in the CAD rendering differs slightly from the actual.

The LEGO Factory link, upon moderation: http://shop.lego.com/Product/Factory/Product.aspx?p=LFH002&mid=6c09abe5-bfb4-4422-acfb-98fdda518192

Other Factory models: http://factory.lego.com/gallery/?parameters=2||0eb3f502-fae0-493b-a9f9-1d846e451a49

Comments welcome!

-Jordan

Jordan,

Wow, that’s really cool (and big!). Love all the details. You keep pushing the limit of what can be done with Factory and I love it. Keep it up! Not only does it produce impressive works like this, but it also reminds and inspires others that the Factory palette is pretty powerful and not as limited as some may think.

Curious if you considered also doing a display-only version where you forsake the standard wheel-sets since their wheel diameters are on the small side for this scale. I wonder if there’s something in the palette that can be used to suggest wheels with a larger diameter -- when properly hidden behind the bogie side details of course. Maybe you can incorporate standard LEGO wheels/tires underneath so it could still be pushed and rolled along the table top for extra fun (like TLG has often done with boat/ship models).

Nicely Done!

-Paul