 Trains / 28273
Re: Creating Models and Optimizing instructions using LDD and LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 15:27:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ldd, Eric Kingsley wrote:
   I have added an article over in the LDD Database area of Save 9v Trains of my thoughts about using LDraw (MLCad) to optimize instructions for LDD.

http://save.9vtrains.com/article.php?story=20061223020839815

I used this caboose as my test subject.

http://save.9vtrains.com/mediagallery/mediaobjects/disp/7/7_caboosefront2.jpg

This is a model that I designed and ordered via LEGO Factory.

I hope to add more about how to use LDD efficiently in the future. I would like to invite anyone else that has thoughts to share to please do so. LEGO Factory is a great idea and while LDD needs much in the way of improvements I think we can all help overcome its shortcommings by sharing our findings and what we have done to overcome LDD’s limitations.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I think this an important topic and I’m glad you brought it up. When I did my Purina boxcar I designed it with LDraw/MLCAD and then converted to LDD as a last step. (Note, I also needed to tweak the ldraw.xml file to prevent a couple parts from get mangled in the conversion.) Using MLCAD gave me the ability to include instruction steps that LDD does preserve when you import a .ldr file. That said, there were a few special considerations needed for creating LDraw instructions for LDD that you normally wouldn’t contend with if doing straight LDraw to LPub instructions, or the like:
  • Part outlines -- LDD does not draw part outlines in the instructions view. If you, say, have a 1x3 brick in line with a 1x4 brick and add them in the same building step, in LDD it just looks like you added a 1x7 brick. You can’t see where one ends and the other begins, and therefore don’t know which goes where. For this reason I tried to avoid including adjacent parts in the same LDraw step. To me this felt very different from what I’d normally tend to do, and what TLG tends to do in official instructions.

  • Sub-assemblies -- As we all know, LDD doesn’t allow them. When doing my boxcar I struggled a bit to come up with a way to handle these as there’s no perfect solution. What I decided to do was build the objects that require sub-assemblies by deliberately leaving them disjoint from the rest of the model until the last step. That way someone following the instructions would be forced to keep them as separate assemblies until the last step. For example, my instructions show how to build the trucks last. The last part I add to each truck is the bogie plate itself. That way the builder should be forced to assemble the truck completely before adding it to the railcar -- as is typically done in official TLG instructions.

  • Rotation steps -- These don’t tranlsate to LDD. For this I think we just have to assume that someone building a model with LDD knows to, and is accustomed to, rotating the model around all the while he/she is building the model.
Well, I hope these thoughts help with this discussion. I encourage you to download my boxcar’s LDD file and view the instructions in LDD. I’m curious for feedback if you think my techniques worked or not, or what could be done better.

Regards,

Paul D’Urbano