 Trains / 27723
Re: German DB Class 144 in 8-wide for IR System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:06:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:
While I'm not 100 percent sure what the new 6 x 30 IR train baseplate looks
like, I tried to fake it for an experiment to build a locomotive based on the
German DB Class 144 as inspired by the new IR set loc as a starting point.  I've
seen better Brick'd Up Cab windscreens than using the Big Cab screen from the
set, but anyway...

Some interesting features include (maybe someone else already did these?):

- minifigure ski for the pantagraph pick-up shoe

- magnifying glass for the front headlamps

- a lot of SNOT work:
     -  around the central corrugated brick work to get 1-plate thick
           separation between adjacent corrugated bricks
     -  use fo 1x1x2/3 slope brick to carry the width from 6 to 8 wide

Note that the DB Class 144 series of electric locomotives seem to have included
(per the Rail Fan Europe site) at least 3 different body styles, including one
with the stub-nose that is quite like that in the new IR freight train set.

later,

James Mathis

Hi James,

This caught my eye earlier today. Great work as usual, especially under the
constraint of incorporating the IR box. The magnifying glasses are a great idea
(I've not seen it before). But... 1x1 slopes don't come in green ;)

Tim