 Trains / 27297
New track mod: 10-stud-curve
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:17:38 GMT

My first track mod was the now fairly common point with a 2-curve side-branch. I’d always wanted to do the opposite - to move the track over with just curves. Now I can, thanks to this little piece; a 10-stud curve:
Go to Gallery <- click for gallery; deep link to image.

It’s made by cutting the centre section out of an ordinary curve and re-attaching the ends. It comes out at just under 2/3 the length of an ordinary curve. Here’s a set of four compared to ordinary track pieces:
10-stud-curves

So what’s the point? The point is, if you plug two together to make an S-bend, it does the same little side-step you get in the branch of an ordinary point. So, add a standard curve and you get a neat match-up with the standard point geometry:
Alongside a point On top of a point
See the point now? If you add another curve, you get a lane-shifting S-curve that lines up with the standard geometry.

So, the old standby of using a pair of points to shift two parallel tracks sideways is made simpler:
Parallel points Parallel S-curves

Also, because they’re two separate pieces rather than one S, you can swap them round to brach to the other side. You also don’t have to have the two short curves next to each other - they can go at the outer ends of the S-curve:
Twin S-curves (deep link to final image)

They’re useful for dodging sideways around obstacles on a layout whilst maintaining the stadard geometry. Previously, only monorail was capable of this.

I haven’t seen anyone making these before. You could probably assemble something like this from Ondrew Hartigan’s custom parts, although when I asked about them he *Ahem* didn’t answer.

Jason Railton