 Trains / 27229
Re: rebeco
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 22:07:35 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
I have to say I really like the ideas in this. Having seen Jason Railton's
automation recently and having been considereing technic solutions for train
things any overlap of the two is good in my book.
Just one thing tho, the video of the point/switch changing mechanism has the
locomotive actually on the point while it is being changed. Doesn't this cause
problems with one end going one way and the other the other !?!

Tim

thanks, Tim.

i'm not sure if i understood your question. The switching can be done in
different positions: 1) The locomotive can be faced to one direction or the
other. 2) Depending on the position of the switch when the locomotive enters, it
can be done in the straight track or curved track. 3) Also, the lever can be on
the left or the right side, but this doesn't matter because it is simetrical.

There are situations where the wheels are exactly over the point. But it works
anyway because the spring will put the switch in the correct position when the
locomotive goes out. Actually, this doesn't work very well with one of my
switching rails but i think it is a problem with this switch...

The worse situation is when the locomotive is in the curved track, because the
lever will slip. To avoid this, the train motor is turned on during the
switching. Then, it will force into the lever.

Another thing: the switching is controlled by the rcx. The user only has to
press two buttons. One to select the left or the right side. Other to say if it
want's to switch to one side or the other (the rcx doesn't know the current
position of the switch).

can you send me a link to "Jason Railton's automation" you told about?

daniel