 Trains / 27186
27185  |  27187
Subject:
Save 9v Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 13:59:02 GMT

I have to say that I'm really depressed by the defeatest attitude surrounding
Eric Kingsley's post about trying to save 9v trains.

Someone who actually has the ability to give our feedback to Lego has stepped
up, given us what information he has, and has said that there's a possibility
that we can make a difference.

After reading the follow-up responses, the general reaction seems to be "Ho hum.
There's nothing we can do about it.  9v is already dead."

For people who are passionate about trains, we sure don't seem to be very
passionate about saving them.

Anyway, here's my public hope that people will come out of their funk and
realize that there *is* a chance of saving the train system, even if it's a
small one.  I, for one, would rather make an attempt at trying to save the line,
even if that attempt fails.  At least I can then say that I tried, instead of
sitting back and watching it die without a fight.

So, what can we do to save the 9v line?  If you have an idea, speak up.  One
idea I had was to poll people at train shows.  Basically, do a little bit of
organized market research for Lego.  Keep some data that we can pass along.  I
know that just from informally talking to people at our show this past weekend,
people *are* buying sets, when they know where to buy them, and people are
excited about the line.  Granted the audience was already a train-friendly
crowd, but when I think "Hobby Train", this is exactly the market I picture.

A few people that I talked to were concerned about the price.  I pointed out to
them that a starter Lego train set runs about the same price as a decent N-scale
starter set.  For instance, I think I paid $120 for my last starter Lego train,
and about $110 for a starter N-scale.  Locomotives are similar.  The Burlington
Northerner is about $40.  My last N-scale locomotive was $65.

Hopefully there are some other ideas out there.  Like I said above, even if we
don't end up saving the line, at least we can say that we tried.

-Elroy