 Trains / 26963
26962  |  26964
Subject:
Train Motor dilema
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:19:05 GMT

Please forgive an old castle-head/train novice if this question is dumb, I'm new
at this.

This past weekend, TexLUG put on a modest (for other train lugs, sizeable for
us) display, seen here:

After finding out that my Santa Fe engine and cars all had the 'good' wheels,
and never having ran it on track, I was determined to run it round the display.
Needless to say the train was a big hit, as it is a gorgeous little train (1
engine, 5 cars), so we ran it for a few hours.

Well, after a few hours the train suddenly stopped moving.  The light was still
working, so the motor was still pulling a current, but it wasn't rolling.
Figuring it was an overheated (brand new, out of the box, never been used)
motor, the more experienced train guys in the group told me to let it rest
overnight, and we put the train to bed.

The next morning at the display, the train had not improved at all.  The light
was working, but the motor wouldn't move.  Figuring I had burnt the motor out
under the heavy load of the train, I put my one and only other (and just as new)
motor on the Super Chief.  Low and behold it worked.

So just for fun I attached my bad motor to my #4535 Large My Own Train engine,
to see if it would run.  Sure enough, it worked like a champ.

Further testing showed that while the 'bad' motor was pulling current (headlamp
was bright), the motor had somehow become weaker, and could not pull as much
load as even an older motor from someone else's train.

Further into the second day, I was able to aquire myself a second Santa Fe
engine from Lee, and motorized it with my 'bad' motor, and ran the Super Chief
with two motors in fear I would ruin the 'good' motor without some backup.

So to recap -

I started the weekend with two brand new, never been used motors out of two
#4535 sets, 1 Santa Fe engine and 5 cars, all with 'good' wheels.

After a few hours of medium speed running, the one motor stopped working
properly.

Further testing proved that the 'bad' motor still operated, but with
signifigantly less power.

So after all of that, I pose this question:  Has this ever happened to any of
you?  Have you ever had a new (or old) motor lose half if not more of its
pulling power in a signifigantly short period of time?  If so, is my motor
repairable, or can it be considered something to call LEGO about for a
replacement?

And lastly - anyone have a cheap motor in good condition for sale?  I do now
have two #4535 engines without motors now :)

--Anthony