 Trains / 26808
Re: New 8 wide train set at LEGO.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:53:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Neal wrote:
   Everyone knows that TLG doesn’t make 8 wide LEGO trains

Well, they DID make 8 wide LEGO trains, but not sell them.

From idea book 240:

Niels

Niels,

thanks for sharing this. These are very advanced for the time they were made.

(snip)

Fantastic models. Simple, basic, yet clearly recognizable as the German DB v200 class.

I feel like I just stepped into a time-machine due to seeing these pictures. I have played with LEGO bricks since childhood (early 1970s). While I remember with great fondness awaiting every year for the next LEGO catalog...to see what new sets...and, more importantly, what new piece shapes were soon to be, I was embedded in the process. The evolution, or progression, of part shapes seemed gradual, almost methodical and purposeful, and I grew along with it. But, here, presented with this flashback to the blue-era of trains, and the most elegant and advanced model showcased from this Idea Book, I am amazed with what is state-of-the-art today in the LEGO Train Hobby. I blink, and I see blue-era circa 1960s. I blink, and I see new grey era ICE. Simply stunning.

I am grateful and hopeful that The LEGO Group maintains the brick in the balance of more model-specific shapes/parts. Build style as showcased with the blue-era loc pictured above is still accessible today, it just may not be quite so obvious. I hope the new official set IR trains and system perform well. There are a good deal great parts, and a lot of MOCs tumbling about in your minds just waiting for the release of these new trains. I can’t wait to see what you make tomorrow.

later,

James Mathis