 Trains / 26706
Re: VT-642 sprinter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 08:26:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   I’ve been toying with a design of Siemens VT-642 DMU in the San Diego Coaster color scheme. This train set is very similar to the Bombardier/Talent BR643 DMU http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=2645 that Jason Allemann did. In fact I’ll be barrowing his shared motor bogie ideas. The big difference is that the typical consist for the 642 is only 2 motor cars, and no middle cars. The picture is a photoshoped publicity image. This train should be operating in San Diego by years end. http://www.gonctd.com/oerail/oerail.html I have no idea what the final paint scheme will be until the real cars are delivered to the US.

I have a front end I’m happy with, and I tried out the POV stuff. Wow, I can’t believe how painless this was to use. A big thank you to all of the CAD guys that made this possible.

The built version will have dark bley doors, I couldn’t get this to work in LDraw. And I’ll be adding seats and other interior details, and a few roof vents. The finished train, with two cars will be 82 studs long.

Do to how far the ends of the trains stick out past the end bogies, this LEGO train will never be able to stay coupled to another train. So I’ll be adding FRED units to the coupler locations, as pictured on the real thing. A FRED is a Flashing Red End of train Devise, used in the US to replace the caboose lights, These typicly attach to the end coupler on the back of a train. I’m not sure what these are called in Europe.

Mat