 Trains / 26705
26704  |  26706
Subject:
VT-642 sprinter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:20:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’ve been toying with a design of Siemens VT-642 DMU in the San Diego Coaster color scheme. This train set is very similar to the Bombardier/Talent BR643 DMU http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/?n=2645 that Jason Allemann did. In fact I’ll be barrowing his shared motor bogie ideas. The big difference is that the typical consist for the 642 is only 2 motor cars, and no middle cars. The picture is a photoshoped publicity image. This train should be operating in San Diego by years end. http://www.gonctd.com/oerail/oerail.html I have no idea what the final paint scheme will be until the real cars are delivered to the US.

I first did a sketch while at work, using simiconductor CAD software. And decided it was finally time to take the plung into ldraw. The .ldr file doesn’t have any interior yet, and the front end is a bit(alot) sketchy, but I know I want to use the windshield I selected. And I have yet to add the roof detail. Any feedback on finishing the front would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve already collected all the parts I need so far, including the Teal. Although I did have to “manufacture a few 1x1 plates by cutting down some 1x2 with handle. It’s a valid part, but in very small qty. And I’ve built one car to the point you see in the ldraw version, but with all Dk gray doors. I may use blue 1x2x3 train windows along with colored tape to make the stripes, I’ll see what the real thing looks like first.

Mat