 Trains / 26461
Re: Hobby Train - the no future train?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:58:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

Hi Tim!

I have picked up on some of the points you have made and not others

Excellent - my message was too long anyway. :-)

I find this interesting. In the UK trains have not been generally avaiable for
years, with only the biggest/best toystores carrying any an even then not
usually the whole range.

I myself have been amazed again and again during the past 2 years to find even
by far more train stuff then ever expected in the past: Santa Fe Engine +
Waggons, BNSF engine, the "My own Train" waaggons and engine and even the train
shed where to be found at a majority of toy shops here.

But the retail buy-list gives all these sets as discontinued now and Jan Beyer
from LEGO told in Zwolle that the so far known 9V series will no longer be
available outside the Shop at Home and that TLC will try to keep it at the S@H
for us adults but cannot promise anything.

The new freight
train will cost 160 Eur (the 4512 is 129Eur).

Where do you get this price?

Told by Jan. Of course he himself could not tell, how the price will be in the
end. But it will definitely not be low priced.

SNIP

90% of the Germans at 1000steine seem to be very pessimistic about the future of
9V trains with metal rails.

Again, interesting, Germany has to be one of the biggest market for Lego trains
so the feeling there is important and also tends to be unknown outside
1000steine because of the language barrier.

Germany is the fan community with probably most blay haters as well. LEGO has
ruined lots of its credit among the fans here. I myself feel as a fan of the
LEGO system, but no longer as a fan of the company. I think lots of others share
my opinion.

Possibly, but its worked without retail shop sales in the UK for a good while,
although this maybe due to sales in other countries

One hope could even be, that we have by far less volume in the market than
expected. In that case the stock (of for e.g. track and motors) which LEGO still
has available will last for lots of years. If they do not sell this out for
strongly reduced prices (as they obviously did with 12V stuff) it might last for
50 LEGO train clubs and dozens of years.... On the other hand they sold 4512 for
less than 70 Eur here before christmas and the US got the motors some month ago
for 15$ till they where sold out, if I remember it right?

Leg Godt!

Ben