 Trains / 26394
Re: Best way to get into LEGO Trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:53:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John O'Keefe wrote:
What is the best way to get into LEGO trains? I have thought about buying a
new set but they are so expensive. I have though about buying a used set off
of Ebay but I don't know if they get worn out, or if I will encounter other
problems. I also don't know what is better a 12v, 9v, 4.5v etc. train.

What would be your advice if I wanted to get started with LEGO trains?
Should I buy new or used and what are recommended new or used sets to buy
for a begginer?

I am very experienced with LEGO just not trains.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

- John

Hi John,

I would definitely suggest starting off with 9V. One thing to note is that Lego
trains are expensive. There isn't really any way of getting around that yet (see
later comment).

I would suggest starting off by buying the High Speed Train (set 4511) which has
the bare minimum for running a train round a loop. I assume you already have
plenty of other parts to build your own stuff and that way you have two
carriages worth of pieces. If you can get a hold of the Freight Train (4512) you
might prefer buying it as it has more carriages and track. It is, of course,
more expensive...

Another option is to wait until later this year when the new remote-controlled,
battery powered system is released. The track will be much cheaper than the
electrified track and might be a better investment for starting off. One risk of
this is that it looks like you might be restricted to building six-wide trains.

Hope this helps.

Tim