 Trains / 26330
Re: Merry 9V Christmas!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:43:12 GMT

Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

I still wonder, that there are no public speculations about an end of 9V trains
here at lugnet. Seems that lots of people do not care about this at all. Or are
we all just so patient to wait till we see all advantages and disadvantages when
the trains are available at last?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I haven't been speculating about the
  demise of the 9v line because of what Jake said at BrickFest. I cannot
pretend to remember exactly what he said, but it could probably be
interpreted two ways. (1) The 9v line will continue. (2) The new line is
compatible with the 9v system and thus the new system doesn't break the
old system. I believe, maybe niavely, that case one is the correct case.

I myself will wait. But for now and in near future I see no need to switch my
train system again. I switched from 12V to 9V not earlier than 1999 (because I
had several dozens of 12V engines running on more than 130 meters of track....).
Today I own more than 40 9V motors and again 100+ meters of 9V track, so I will
overthink it twice before I launch again into a new system (which additionally
will not promise any Farbvergnügen to me).

Leg Godt!

Oh goodness... in a way I feel lucky. I had two 4.5v trains and one 12v
train. I had a bunch (a small bunch) of 4.5v track, and a little 12v
track. So, when the 9v line came out, there was no a dilema. I jumped
into 9v just as quickly as I could. Since 12v trains were never
introduced in the US, I never had to go through the same rebuilding
process. If the 9v line goes away, I don't know what I'll do. I don't
think I'll trash everything and jump into some new system. Having said
that, I don't see how a battery powered train can really be a
replacement for a train with electrified rails. So, I hope that everyone
at LEGO agrees; I hope they understand that a battery-powered
remote-controlled train is not a replacement for a train that runs on
electrified rails.

Chris

PS. Jake, if you are reading this... rerailer. I want a rerailer
disguised as a level crossing :)

--
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/

Learn about brittle bone disease