 Trains / 25920
Re: Spiderman's Train Rescue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:29:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Williams wrote:
I tried to find an answer before posting but didn't. I apologize if this
question has been discussed previously.

Is Spiderman's Train Rescue compatible size-wise with other Lego trains? Can it
be motorized? Has anyone done this? Does anyone care? <G> I have not seen one in
person but I like the idea of a subway-based train. they seem to be available
rather cheaply on ebay.

Festive

The body is 6-wide, which is compatible.

The wheels are the tiny ones, but a newer design with lower friction than the
previous ones, which means they will work on the 9V track if the vehicle is
lightly laden and there are not many of them in the train.

The carriage as built in the set is not motorisable but if the 6x16 baseplate
were replaced, a train motor could be used with the rest of the carriage, albeit
raising it up a little.  This problem is one that quite a few subway train
builders have tackled.

The rails are different.  They aren't compatible with the older 12V sleepers
either because they have no clip holes, though you could use them with that
system in non-sleepered parts of the track.

I bought some Spiderman Train Rescue sets so I could evaluate the wheels for my
container wagons on the 9V railway.  They're an improvement but there's still a
lot of friction, more with weight, which leads to the wagons being left behind
when the magnet coupling strength is insufficient.  You can always replace the
magnets with Technic 5L liftarms and pins, but that means the engine has to be
permanently coupled to the train.

I think the wheelbase of the carriage in the set is quite long with respect to
what will go round 9V curves easily, so you might need to move them in or make
bogie carriages (more wheels = more friction :-( ).  There' no reason why a
train motor with liftarms for couplings couldn't pull 4 carriages, if you dress
up the motor in similar livery.

Mark