 Trains / 25880
25879  |  25881
Subject:
F40PH-2 MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:08:47 GMT

Over the last couple of months I've been playing with a virtual MOC of the F40
PH-2. I usually like to build the real thing first then do an LDRAW version
later. This avoids inadvertant impossible brick configurations and the resulting
rendered model compensates for my poor camera technique.

This time the constrainsts of work have kept me away from my parts / building
room leaving me with software tools only. The MOC is based on prototypes like
this...
http://www.trainweb.org/southernontario/VIA/f40ph-2/via6409-2%20(Medium).JPG

The results can be seen at...

When I can collect the parts I need I will attempt it in brickwork. And
undoubtably discover virtual work that will not work in real life. Until then
I'd enjoy feedback.

Credits (and I've probably missed some):

Beat Felber's round window design and windowframe ladder:

James Mathis' oval window design:

I started out trying Christopher Masi's truck enhancement design:
http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/trains/engines/santa_fe_f7/f7a_undercarriage.html
Unforntunatly I could not get LDRAW to reflect the real thing properly so I
modified it.

A friend has had good results using Ink Jet water slide decal paper from
http://www.decalpaper.com/ for N and HO models. I've ordered some to try on my
SD40-2(at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=105949 )At the same
time I will try out the truck enhancements I've used and post the results.

Once I've built the F40PH in bricks I intend to decal it in VIA promotional
colors like one that was used on an Edmonton to Jasper run that I took:
http://www.trainweb.org/southernontario/VIA/f40ph-2/via6401%20spiderman-1%20(Medium).JPG

regards,
Chuck