 Trains / 25779
Re: An idea concerning the new RC trains and a new RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:04:07 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christian Treczoks wrote:
Hi, all,

I know this might just be a shot in the blue sky, but anyway:

Lego is most propably working on a new RCX system. At the Legofan site,
there is a discussion about things that should be in a new RCX, and
someone mentioned Bluetooth as a wireless communication system for a
next-gen RCX.

That made me thinking about an idea:

WHAT IF the next RCX had Bluetooth
AND the remote controlled L-cheapo gauge trains would work with
Bluetooth, too (instead of the quite problem-susceptible IR)?

- One could control train motors as auxiliary motors in an
   RCX-controlled model without wasting IO-ports.
- One could control trains with an RCX or PC - making the new
   train system about as professional as some of the DCC systems.
- One could set up a train setting that uses RCXs for additional
   general purpose interfacing, like controlling signals, cranes,
   whatever, and communicates with the trains on the set.
- One could use the trains original remote control to steer an
   RCX-controlled model.

Now, that would make a real _system_ again, and it would make the new
L-cheapo gauge system very interesting even for the diehard professional
trainhead ;-)

PLMKWYT!

Yours, Christian

Well - I am not thrilled with your references to the train as "el cheapo".  Lego
is a company that has to make money (the whole point of a company).  They are
making new trains in a direction that will make the train more affordable to a
larger audience.  I distinctly remember Lego Execs stating that the existing
metal railed track will NOT be discontinued when they were at Brickfest.  So, I
suggest you look at this as a new product that you might not be interested in
instead of flinging around terms like "el cheapo".

That being said - yes it would be neat if the RC train ran on bluetooth...I
could control the train from my Blackberry  :)

The thing is, an RCX is probably not very size compatible for a train, and in a
next generation RCX, I would expect more I/O which certainly wouldn't reduce its
size any...a neat idea nonetheless.

Bryan