 Trains / 25576
Re: Last Tidbit from NMRA Show-- Unique track lead connection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:13:04 GMT

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:IJwvuG.1tow@lugnet.com...
I almost forgot to share this:

Because we add to our tracks for greater realism, we don't have much if
any room
for track lead connections.  And let's face it-- the leads are quite a
bulky and
unsightly solution for getting power to the rails.  This isn't a problem
if we
have a tunnel where they can be hidden, but we didn't have one planned at
the
Cincy show, so Ross got to work and came up with this idea:

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=7051
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/J-2/8wide/RossFolder/thumb/0072.jpg_thumb.jpg>>

He cut a LEGO wire and soldered the cut ends to the rails.  Then he
imbeded the
2x2 connector in a section of track, and also imbeded a connection wire
into the
track bed.  That wire leads to the
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/J-2/TCLTC/Buildings/00000052.jpg
transformer
module> (All of those transformers are mounted and a part of that 15" x
30"
module).

The tracks snap down on the track bed precisely where they need to be and
we lay
the rest of the track from those.  It is a nifty little solution, which
would
have brought a tear to Rob H's eye, not to mention a purist's as well;-)

[JOHN]

*single tear*
Mmmm, mods.......  Great stuff Ross.  You out do your old man like he'll
never imagine...

Rob