 Trains / 25550
Re: Furka Oberalp Loco at NMRA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:23:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Demlow wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

Does anyone have any more info on the loco and train seen in the background
of this shot?

As Bill mentioned, it's mine, via the GMLTC members who made it to Cinci.  I
didn't realize it was even there until today.  The loco is indeed the well-known
Furka Oberalp from the Swiss Glacier Express route.  The cars are from another
regional Swiss line, the Bruenig-Bahn (I think), that operates around the
Brienzsee.  I snapped some pics of it at the Interlaken Ost train station.  As
John Gerlach put it, "They just scream to be built out of Lego" with the
black/white stripes, etc.  The cars are quite prototypical (except the
undercarriages - total guesses there); I built two standard passenger cars, a
dining car (yellow stripe), and a panoramic window passenger car.

I have to say I was quite exited when I saw it, I thought I was the only Lego
trains person interested in Swiss metre gauge stuff! The loco looks good and I
would have recognised it (maybe a little slower) even without the big FO on the
side. As a matter of interest the FO no longer exists, it has merged with its
end-on neighbour, the Brig-Visp-Zermat, to form the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn.
Its title (Oberalp) had become a bit of misnomer anyway when they opened the
Furka base tunnel, more like the Furka Unteralp! I have to say I don't know much
about the Bruenig, might have to do some research.
One of my current projects is to build an MOB (Montreaux Oberland Bahn) loco
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ch/narrow_gauge/MOB/eloc/mob_1.jpg It might be
a while before it sees the light of Brickshelf tho!

Although I am an American my only experience as a train passenger has been in
Germany and Switzerland, so I enjoy building based on those experiences.  We are
working on a Swiss mountain section for the GMLTC layout, which should be done
around 2007 at the glacial (ha!) pace at which we build.

I look foward to seeing that!

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Tim