 Trains / 25372
Re: Help with short circuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:36:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mitchell Lichtenberg wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mitchell Lichtenberg wrote:
Here's the layout: an oval with a left and a right hand turnout. The
turnouts turn into the oval and are connected with  track.  Nothing
complicated here. If I switch both turnouts to the inside I get a short.
If I switch only one to the inside and keep the other straight and there's
no short. In other words if the train is switched inside it will continue
to run as long as the other switch is straight (no turn in). Ultimately of
course the train will hit this switch and derail -- so at some point the
'receiving' turnout has to be flipped to receive and then there's a short.
Is this the way it is supposed to work?  I don't think I've got a reversing
loop here.  The turnouts are new.

If you're getting a short, then you have a reversing loop. I'm guessing it
looks something like this:

| /----\
| |    |
| |\   |
| | \  |
| |  \ |
| |   \|
| |    |
| \____/

If so, you definitely have a reversing loop. You can work around it by
insulating the inside section of track completely and controlling it
separately. But the easiest way is to drive the train onto the inside
section, then flip the "entry" point back to "straight" (isolating the
inside section completely), flipping the "exit" point to "curve", and
driving the train out. And you will see when you do, that the train is now
traveling the opposite direction.

BTW, running a train over a point set the wrong way should not derail the
train - LEGO points are spring loaded to allow this.

Hope that helps.

ROSCO

Rosco, Thanks. Maybe it is working the way you describe.  But in your diagram
you have two left hand switches.  I have a right and a left so my diagram
would make the internal track look like an upside down 'V' rather than a
diagonal slash.

If that is still a reversing loop, I stand corrected.  What do you think?  Is
there no way to make an internal 'connection' within a circle or oval of
track without a short?  If I made the loop run to the outside would it work
then?  I know that McKee has an outside loop track diagram in his book  (p,
92)

OTH If the train won't derail maybe I don't need to worry about setting the
"receiving" switch at all!!!

Mitch

Mitch -

You're seeing a feature of the selection of the switches, and the train won't
derail if the switch is set against the direction of travel.  See
http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/switch.htm
for more details on how switches work.  Switches direct trains and current, so
if you have a train on the siding off the oval loop, and set both switches
straight, there won't be any power to the siding, and that may appear as a
short.  It's not, really.

Ed