 Trains / 2525
RE: New Engine Pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 22:12:10 GMT

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, the engine is a better looker than it is a runner. Being
pushed by the motor in the tender, combined with the doubled flanged, spoked
wheels and low "tie-scraping" pilot pivot bar, (one of the compromises to
get a lot of open space between the boiler and the frame) it has trouble on
curves and turnouts. That was one of the reasons I moved the front set of
drivers back, to shorten the "wheelbase" between of the non-pivoting
drivers. I will have to explore the individual pivoting axle ideas I've seem
described online.

I also couldn't get any of the technic parts to work as connecting rods with
the spoked drivers. They, and the spoked pilot wheels, were never intended
to be used on a track.

Oh yes, I am very familiar with what the tender should look like. The
challenge is that the wheels Lego uses for the motor are really too big for
traditional pilot or tender wheels, especially with a loco of this vintage.
Adding another truck behind it with the same wheelbase, and 4 more similar
size wheels and then extending the tender to fit would make it about as long
as the loco! The tender I built is a compromise, It may not have the right
number of wheels but frame-up, I think it looks decent.

I also think the motor wheels are too small for loco drivers. I have seen
the motor used as a trailing truck on larger, freight-type steam locos,
2-6-4, 4-8-4 or similar locos with a 4 wheel truck under the firebox. These
tended to use larger wheels than for the pilots, though some were different
sizes! I think this is the best place for the motor in steam engines, but
have not had time to build one yet. If you do this, you would eliminate the
tender drive problems, and get something that still has good proportions.
You may get a lot of boiler overhang on curves though, assuming you anchor
it to the drivers.

Anyway, I do like the way this little old-fashioned one looks. Remember,
keep the stack, cylinders and pilot truck lined up vertically and things
will look better.  I wish I could come up with a way to add a sand dome and
keep the round boiler without drilling a hole!  Maybe I should build some
old-fashioned celestory roof cars to go with it... In my spare time.

Mark