 Trains / 24920
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 22:22:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jake McKee wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Mathew Clayson wrote:
   In lugnet.announce.iltco, Mike Walsh wrote:
   LEGO has provided ILTCO with early pictures and set information for the new 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Cair. Vist http://www.iltco.org for more details and pictures.

Mike

PS: LEGOFan is also previewing this set at: http://www.legofan.org

FUT: lugnet.trains

Jake, I really like the set, and I’m always happy to have another train model to add to my collection, particularly modern frieght. But if I’m not mistaken a prototypical consist of these cars is either 3 or 5 at a time. So are there enough parts in the set to make 2 center cars, as opposed to 2 end cars?

You are correct, sir. Typically these are configed in 1, 3, and 5 car consists. (Yes, I’ve seen one car running standalone on occasion, but not often)

Honestly, this came down to a design decision on why we went with two cars. Three would have made the product two expensive, one sorta sells the articulated car concept short.

The instructions show how to make a single standalone car as an alternative.

Jake --- Jake McKee Community Liaison LEGO Community Team

I think what he means (and what I’d also like to know) is:

Are there enough spare parts in the set to turn the two end bogies into another middle bogie, so that one set can be re-arranged to extend a consist by two pockets. Then two sets could make a consist of 4, with three middle bogies and two end bogies.

I know it’s 1, 3 or 5 pockets in a consist, but there would be a problem if you couldn’t make a consist of 5 from 3 sets, with one body left over. It would be preferred if 3 sets could make two consists of 3 pockets, or 5 sets make two consists of 5 pockets. These extra parts would not be expensive because the same wheelsets are re-used and the same part types are already in the set for the existing middle bogie.

It’s a bit like the Santa-Fe loco having grey motor shrouds in the set - a few extra parts to greatly extend the “play value” or, in the AFOL case, “prototypical operation”.

Considering that this set has no minifigs, I’d like it to have about 500 parts for the quoted price. Even though I build much larger, especially with containers:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Trains/Scenery/maersk_container_ba_agm_2004.jpg

if I can find a suitable British prototype low-loader container wagon I might buy a few sets. I guess few people would buy more than 5 sets though, as two consists of 5 is enough for most layouts! It’s different for the tanker and hopper wagons, since they tend to run in long trains. I find the tanker most useful, since it’s already wider and is easy to convert to 4-wheel operation with steerable wheels.

I still think the original container car design in your book was better in some respects, such as the brake cylinders on the ends, and the smaller slope piece better matching the steering wheel pieces.

Mark