 Trains / 24279
24278  |  24280
Subject:
Question about LEGO train motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 03:05:18 GMT

What’s the scoop on getting LEGO train motors to run (and keep running) smoothly?

As our motors age, they tend to make grinding gear sounds.

This weekend I converted 7 motors to DCC using 5 brand new motors. Some are OK and some grind away, typically working better in one direction than the other. My theory is that opening them to install the encoders agrgravates a problem that occurs even in sealed units. If the bottom is not pressed tightly up against the top, the axles have room to wobble and the gears don’t make proper contact and grind.

Is that what’s going on? Or is it some other phenomena? In any event, what can be done to make motors run better?

-Ted