 Trains / 241
240  |  242
Subject:
9volt motor problems -- I think
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:37:52 GMT

I have a perplexing problem going on with my 9 volt train motor that I'm
not sure if it's because the motor is bad or if it's because of improper
construction techniques on my 4-4-0 steamer.

I've been running my original-creation 4-4-0 around our Christmas tree
(much to the joy of our 8 month old) along with four train cars.  If you
look at (http://users.codenet.net/steveb/index.htm), you'll see that I'm
using the small train wheels for the front wheel assembly.  The motor makes
up the rear assembly.  At first, the front wheels kept becoming derailed,
despite using Will Chapman's techniques.  So, I added another 2X4 plate to
the front wheels to increase the height of the assembly, and thus keeping
those wheels from slipping off the track.  The only problem is it makes the
front assembly just a bit higher than the rear motor wheels, but the motor
wheels still seem to touch the track o.k.  Anyway, that seemed to do the
trick, until...

Just recently, the engine has started to "drag" or almost stop when going
around the tracks.  There's a noise coming from the motor that almost makes
it sound as if it's struggling to move.  Sometimes, when first giving power
to the transformer (via the yellow dial), it doesn't move at all.  This
particular engine has always had a "slow down" problem with curves due to
my using the small wheels for the front wheel assembly.

So, do you guys think this points to the motor going bad?  Or, is it due to
my construction techniques?  Maybe Ben Fleskes, Will Chapman, Matt Bates,
Larry P., or any of the other train experts can give me their insights.

One more question, if the motor is bad, can I call LEGO Customer Support
and get them to send me a new motor?  Or, is this not something they would
cover?

Thanks,
Steve Berry