 Trains / 23377
23376  |  23378
Subject:
4512 is great to modify
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:22:51 GMT

I got a 4512 Cargo Train yesterday. It’s my second train set, and I really like it. It derails on tight curves, though, but then you wouldn’t expect a cargo train to be flying down the track anyway.

I noticed while building the engine that it was possible to light the set of red lights in the back, because LEGO’s designers conveniently left a 1 plate gap under the floor of the engineer’s compartment so you can run a wire underneath it. And of course the 9V lights have always had that vertical gap on their backsides to run wires through in tight spaces. They also left plenty of space above the piece that holds the red lights so the electrical plate on the 9V wire can attach. Then there’s plenty of space in the forward section of the engine to connect the two wires from both lights and run a third one to the motor underneath.

I’ve often wondered if the designers do this sort of thing on purpose. There are a lot of sets that lend themselves very well to minor modifications assuming you have the extra pieces. I have a whole bunch of short 9V wires and extra 9V lights, so it was no problem to make this engine’s red lights work. And I must say that the red lights look cooler than the yellow ones when they’re lit up.

This is another reason I love LEGO: the sets have neat little hidden features or are easy to modify to make them even better.