 Trains / 22642
Re: 4-6-2 Wheel Formations using BBB wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:12:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Geoff Snell wrote:

I'd like to take the liberty of opening this up and starting a new thread
requesting all you fantastic train builders out there to share your experiences
of building a 4-6-2 chassis with linked BBB driver wheels that will still
negotiate the sharp curves in Lego track formations.

All suggestions will be appreciated.  Pictures would be fantastic!

I've been working on a 4-6-4 using the BBB wheels, with some very good luck.
I'm using a linkage design similar to that on my 4-8-4 Northern:

As a couple other people have mentioned, I had to de-flange one pair of drivers.
In order to allow my front truck to rotate and not conflict with the steam
cylinders, I located the deflanged drivers at the end (that is, the first four
drivers are flanged, the last pair is not).

I don't have any photos yet (though I could take some this evening - I'll warn
you in advance, the colors are still motley).

-s