 Trains / 22634
Re: 4-6-2 Wheel Formations using BBB wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:53:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Geoff Snell wrote:
There's been a discussion going on under the '8-wide Hogwarts Express' thread
concerning wheel formations and drive/push rods using BBB driver wheels.

I'd like to take the liberty of opening this up and starting a new thread
requesting all you fantastic train builders out there to share your experiences
of building a 4-6-2 chassis with linked BBB driver wheels that will still
negotiate the sharp curves in Lego track formations.

All suggestions will be appreciated.  Pictures would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Geoff

Hello All,

I used flex rods in my design ,mainly for looks.
They don't really flex in my design.

My train is a 4 6 2.

Is this the part #3747, which you are talking about?I used a 3 long technic axel
with stud on one end.This is on the middle drive wheel,that moves sideways.It
has not been deflanged.The push rods connecting to the connecting rod also moves
sideways.On the other drive wheels , I use a technic half pin and round 1*1
plate

It works 99% of the time. The only fault is that the connecting rods come off
some times at fast speeds. I've got a few ideas on how to fix it, but just
havn't done it yet.I was only taking it slow in the corners at BrickFest PDX,
Because I did not want it smashing all over the ground.

Some silicon grease on the moving joints ,should really help.
But don't get it on the wheel rim.
I havn't tried this.
But I have used it in some Lego gear boxes.

It's very hard to explain without detailed pictures.
I hope to get some more pictures up soon.
Showing in close detail , what parts I used.
Including a few Pictures of it pulled apart.
Trying to show some instruction on how I built it.

Thanks, Teunis M>ltc