 Trains / 22295
Re: Attention rtlToronto members
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:33:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
Any info you can provide would be great.

This is one of my creations.  I think the grossest over use of motors I've ever
come up with. :-)

The panel is used to control switch positions on our 45 degree crossover.  On
this layout it was buried under Altenberg.  Each switch was motorized using Jeff
Elliott's latest design.  Very fast moving.  I can't think of where there are
any pictures of it.

Anyway, there are four switchs, so there are four motors for that.

Back to the panel.  The panel has, and this is where the gorse over use of
motors comes in, another 4 motors behind it.  These motors drive the needles on
the display.  They are driven through pullies and belts so they can slip at the
end points.

So when you throw one of the polarity switchs, it causes the switch to switch
and the needle to change position.

Because lego motors are so efficient, there is a cool side effect to all this.
If you reached in and switch the switch manually, it actually generates enough
power for the needle to change positions too.

So if you have a lot of motors, you can make a display system, that will always
keep up with the switch positions.

I've recently come into a lot of pneumatics, so I'm going to see if I can
duplicate this system in pneumatics.

Derek