 Trains / 2206
2205  |  2207
Subject:
New question/challenge...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 05:33:02 GMT

Okay, so I'm looking at my old 12 volt train motor, and it's got two drive
wheels per side and a hole in between each of them to add a third wheel. And my
12v set included these extra wheels so that I have the option of adding them,
or
not.

Now I'm looking at the 9 volt motor, and I notice that it, too, has two drive
wheels per side, and a hole in the middle. Now, LEGO has given us this piece
that sits on the side of the motor, slots into the hole, and puts a sort of
wheel cover over the drive wheels (you know the piece I mean). But the tab that
fits in the hole is only half the height of it. Which, of course, begs the
question, is there another piece that fits this hole? Notice also that there's
are narrow slits on each side of the hole which look suspiciously functional.
Also the hole is not round. It's vertically oblong. I did try seeing if my 12v
motor's extra wheels would fit, and they sort of did, but they sort of didn't.

Anyway, to continue: if you take a wheelset and pull carefully on the wheels,
the wheels and axle will pop right off. Then, you can pull the wheels easily
off
the axle. Now with just a magic piece to fit the hole in the motor, and which
will slot into the axle hole or lock onto the stud on the inside of the wheel
(a
stud on the inside of the wheel -can't- be a coincidence), you can have a six-
wheeled, powered motor!

So... what's the magic piece? I keep thinking that some obscure piece I already
own would fit perfectly, but I have yet to find it. Can anyone else  come up
with a solution, either LEGO or (gasp!) otherwise?

Rick Clark
jrclark@nospam.aol.com
http://members.xoom.com/jrickclark