 Trains / 21996
Re: Santa Fe Stickers (was Re: Santa Fe Decals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 03:08:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Gray wrote:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:

Do you mean the stickers that come with the set, or did you go out and get
decals somewhere? (an increasingly common practice among trainheads who want a
wider variety of logos and lettering than you can get with the stickers LEGO
supplies and who don't have access to an ALPS or similar printer that can print
on clear sticker paper)

Just the stickers that came with the sets.

Ah, ok. Decals are something quite different than stickers, at least in common
usage by trainheads (although the dictionary definition admits of both meanings)

I expect you'd have no trouble whatever getting decals to adhere to even the
curved fuel tank surfaces, and stay put, even in your dry climate... especially
if you used solvaset first, so I find your post rather surprising.

Solvaset? Is that something I can get in a hobby store?

Yes.

Is it for the
decals I recall from plastic models decades ago, and not for the glued
stickers?

Yes.

Would it be useable with the Lego glued stickers?

Almost certainly not.

Try this search for more info on solvaset

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=microscale+solvaset

For reference, my current sticker application technique consists of using
tweezers to avoid getting skin oil on the stickers. After placing them, I
rub them down with my finger, then more with the back of my fingernail
(not the point, since that can tear them), making darn sure there are no
air bubbles. They still come off the curved parts. All 3 of my previously
assembled Santa Fe cars and the engine have the same problem.

It's gotta be humidity as you surmise, your application technique is way better
than mine and should eliminate several causes of peeling that I would get stuck
by due to my sloppy technique, and yet none of my stickers are curling the way
yours are.