 Trains / 21919
Re: 3 axle trucks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:45:42 GMT

Mike Kollross wrote:

I want to build a SD70m in 7 wide but wanted to figure out how to do the 3 axles
first.  Here's what I came up with.  It will cross switches and cross overs in
forward and reverse and at varying speeds.  It also matches the detail of the
decorative sides for the motors and has enough mass that you can't see through
where the 3rd wheel set is added on.  I think it turned out nicely.  The trucks
are designed for custom train bases and I'm not sure if they will work with the
6x24 or 6x28 train base plates.  I think their lenght alone precludes them being
used on standard bases.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck01.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck02.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck03.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck04.jp

The design uses 4 - 2x6 modified plates with hole.  The extra wheel set is
consructed with one of the plates on top and two on the bottom with a technic
pinned between the two parts.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck05.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck06.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck07.jpg

The last pic shows some details of construction.  The base is a 1x4 brick on the
motor clips and a 1x2 plate to bring it flush with the top of the motor and a
2x3 modified plate with hole on top.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MK-Ultra71/Trains/Rollingstock/7widestock/3axletruck08.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Mike

Mike,

I like it, I like it a lot. I might switch my design to that. The only
thing that I am worried about is torque. On my engine, the pivitoing
part is the part that pulls the load, but I'll never know if I don't try.

http://users.rcn.com/cjmasi/lego/trains/engines/emd_sd40-2/emd_sd40-2.htm

Thanks,
Chris