 Trains / 21775
Re: Super Cheif Mods Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:58:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Eric Sophie wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Eric Sophie wrote:

    10020 Santa Fe Super Chief
436 elements, 2 figures, US$40, 2002
LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 9v > Locomotives

Friends at Lugnet.Trains I have a question.

When I work at the Lego Store some people ask me about the Super Cheif. They want to know if it is motorized and I tell them the model is not, but, it can be modified to run as other Lego Trains do.

So, can anyone point us to some reference pictures?

I believe the instructions in the set include how to motorize it. So if you have one copy around that you can open up and build, you could then show people the instructions.

Instruction scans won’t be on BrickShelf until after the set is long out of production, presumably.

Hope that helps. I don’t offhand know of anyone that has documented the process, but it’s very straight forward, it just involves shortening the fuel tank so that the rear truck is replaced with a motor.

Ahh, I get it, and good idea, I may ask about a demo model for the floor then.

Thank you!

Eric,

Just to elaborate on what Larry said. The instructions tell you step by step how to add the motor and shorten the fuel tank. The set even comes with the gray train motor “decorative sides” so that the motor matches the other wheels. TLC definitely designed this to be a motorized train from the start. All you need is a motor from another set, or buy one from shop at home (product id: 5300). Also, the instructions tell you step by step how to add a working light to the front of it (requires the motor to get power, of course). Again, you need the light kit from shop at home (3748), or use the light-brick and connection wire from some other set. None of these are “custom” mods per say, since TLC designed it with all of this from the start. 10020 is simply an awesome set. They thought of everything with that one. I wish LEGO Direct would give us another locomotive with the same attention to detail in the near future.

-Paul