 Trains / 21744
Re: NovaLUG train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:18:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ed McGlynn wrote:
Lawrence -
Nice pictures, and thanks for sharing.  More comments below...

Sorry for the delayed response (holidays), and thanx for the kind words.
snip>
Did Gail automate the crossing gates at the right side of this photo?

Yes, they worked great at our last show but her activation device (plate mounted
on truck) had clearance issues with some structures at this show.
The timing was done with an older set that reads bar codes to program it.
(can never remember the #)

snip
ropes and stanchions: slack is better than tight.

I understand what you mean - it's possible for a whole row of stanchions to be
pulled over if one goes down if there's little slack in the rope.
snip snip
Your
picture indicates a fairly small through-hole in the upright, but I could be
mistaken:

Yes, it is small, but works well with the nylon rope.
We've had kids push the rope till it hits the side of the layout with no
stanchion movement.  Our bases are just 2 pieces of 2x10 12" long, not very
heavy.

We use fairly tight roping through our uprights made of 1" PVC, so the nylon
roping, similar to what you probably use, can slip through pretty easily and
unobstructed.  It helps to have 20 lb. cement fille LEGO buckets as the base,
though!  You can see our uprights (kinda) here:

Thanks!  We are at the point of needing more, and will go the PVC & bucket route
also.

Enjoy!
Folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=63666

BTW, loved the green freight depot & masive grain elevator.

Lawrence