 Trains / 21627
Re: NovaLUG train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:23:02 GMT

Lawrence -
Nice pictures, and thanks for sharing.  More comments below...

Ed

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Livesey wrote:
Here are a few train pictures from our latest show.  We have been together
for just over a year and our membership has doubled, there are 6 of us now,
so set ups & tear downs are faster and easier.  We don’t have our own tables
yet & never know what to expect, so having tables  that were 1” thick was a
treat!  The tables at our last show sagged so bad it looked like we had a
hump yard!  Look at the train in the middle left:

Things of interest are JM’s Hover train, it took 2 hands to hold it down:

That's cool.

Gail’s Sperry rail grinder:

Very nice!

and a young spectator came in with a nifty little engine that we ran:

Gail’s motorized ski lift worked flawlessly all weekend, as well as Sam’s
vintage engine with conveyer.

Great stuff!
I liked the ski mountain a lot:

Did Gail automate the crossing gates at the right side of this photo?

A tip for those who use ropes and stanchions: slack is better than tight.  Try
it!

I understand what you mean - it's possible for a whole row of stanchions to be
pulled over if one goes down if there's little slack in the rope.  My current
light-hearted theory of how many stanchions fall over in that event is also a
function of how free the rope is to slide through the stanchion upright.  Your
picture indicates a fairly small through-hole in the upright, but I could be
mistaken:

We use fairly tight roping through our uprights made of 1" PVC, so the nylon
roping, similar to what you probably use, can slip through pretty easily and
unobstructed.  It helps to have 20 lb. cement fille LEGO buckets as the base,
though!  You can see our uprights (kinda) here:

Enjoy!
Folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=63666

Lawrence