 Trains / 21572
    HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Peter Ehrlich
   Hello all, I have two 9v train motors, one from 'My Own Train' (two years ago) and another from bricklink about a year ago. The problem is that they make terrible contact with the rails. Originally when I got them they worked fine but then, sadly, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Chris Phillips
   (...) Did you also clean the wheels on the train motor? You could try lightly buffing the rails with steel wool, although you should be careful to vacuum up all the metal filings if you do so. And make sure that you clean the portion of the rails (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Peter Ehrlich
     (...) I'll try on a the small loop first to see if there is a difference. I have not <i>noticed</i> any speed reduction far from the regulator. (...) OK thanks for the info, its not just the newness of the one motor. I don't think they are heavily (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Peter Ehrlich
     Hmm. I've setup a bigger layout (one floorsworth) and still its a full 9v on the farthest away point. So its not he track. I strongly think its wheels contacting the rails so I'll try steel wool sometime tomorrow and say what happens. -- Peter (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Reinhard "Ben" Beneke
     (...) Hi Peter! But that is only measured without electric load. Even if you have a really high resitance in the joints of the track, you still will have the 9V at any given point of the track as long as you have no parallel load on the track. A (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Mark Riley
     (...) You can test this for yourself. Measure the voltage of a 9v battery with your voltmeter, then measure it again in series with a 10K resistor. It's still 9V! Now, think of all those track pieces (and joints) as tiny little resistors... :-) Mark (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Peter Ehrlich
     (...) Okay I tried measuring resistance on track 47 joints long (a broken circle) but still, the resistance is only 2-6 ohms. Then I tried running them one at a time. Even on top notch the older motor needs nudging to start on straight, has real (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

         Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Bruce S. Chamberlain
     (...) Peter, It sounds like the wheels are too close together and can not contact the inside of both rails of a straight. Curves are closer together for a train motor. Wheels are press fit on axles so can move. Bruce (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing! —Harvey Henkelman
   (...) Alcohol contains water, which corrodes the metal rail (and the joints between the track sections as well) (...) Do not use steel wool on your track, as it scratches the surface of the rail and leaves pits where more dirt can collect. What do I (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)