 Trains / 21589
Re: HELP! Train motors dead and dieing!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:12:07 GMT

On Nov 14, 2003, at 5:51 AM, Peter Ehrlich wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:06:47 +0000, Mark Riley wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Peter Ehrlich wrote:
Hmm. I've setup a bigger layout (one floorsworth) and still its a
full
9v on the farthest away point.

Hi Peter!

But that is only measured without electric load. Even if you have a
really high resitance in the joints of the track, you still will have
the 9V at any given point of the track as long as you have no
parallel
load on the track. A motor might have much less than 9V at that far
away point of the loop...

You can test this for yourself.  Measure the voltage of a 9v battery
with your voltmeter, then measure it again in series with a 10K
resistor.  It's still 9V! Now, think of all those track pieces (and
joints) as tiny little resistors...

Okay I tried measuring resistance on track 47 joints long (a broken
circle) but still, the resistance is only 2-6 ohms. Then I tried
running
them one at a time. Even on top notch the older motor needs nudging to
start on straight, has real power only on curves, and slowly stops on
longer straight sections.

The second, newer, motor cannot start on straight (even right next to
the
contact bricks) but can go down to notch two before grinding to a halt
on
straight.

Has anyone else had problems of this nature?

Thanks for the help,
--Peter

Peter,
It sounds like the wheels are too close together and can not contact
the inside of both rails of a straight. Curves are closer together for
a train motor. Wheels are press fit on axles so can move.
Bruce