 Trains / 21444
Re: LUCNY exhibiting at the CNY Train Fair 11/1, 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 01:55:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ed McGlynn wrote:
LEGO Users of Central New York; LUCNY...

...will be displaying our latest buildings, rolling stock, automated
switches, modified track geometry, stock LEGO train kits, etc. at the 29th
Annual Central New York Train Fair in Syracuse, NY on November 1st and 2nd.

The CNY Train Fair is one of the largest train show venues in New York,
encompassing two large buildings on the NY State Fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY.
The show is organized by the Central New York chapter of the National
Railroad Historical Society.  More info about the show is here:

http://members.aol.com/CNYNRHS/index.html
...and their home page is http://www.rrhistorical-2.com/cnynrhs/index.html

You'll see LUCNY listed in the group of registered participants, and we're
looking forward to greeting all our local and out of town LEGO enthusiasts
who wish to stop by.  We'll have lots of opportunities to show you our latest
creations and we'd be happy to run your 9v trains, either 6 or 8 wide or our
~20' x 30' layout.

Show hours are 10a-5p on the 1st, and 10a-4p on the 2nd.  Parking's free, and
there's a nominal admission fee.  Come out and enjoy the huge venue, chock
full of lots of train related items, working layouts, and vendors.  It's
really a huge show, and we're excited to be in attendance after some lengthy
negotiations with the organizers.  They finally got convinced that LEGO
trains are OK after seeing our layouts around the area.  Please stop by and
show your support!

Thanks,
Ed McGlynn
LUCNY

WOW!  This show went well.  16 feet by 26 feet -- our biggest layout yet and,
naturally, the best display at the whole event which used two huge buildings at
the New York State Fairgrounds.  We must have heard people tell us that 100
times!  I hope they told the event organizers, too.

Contributing members to the layout included
-- Kevin Salm -- structures, trains, vehicles, all other necessary Lego parts,
-- Ed McGlynn -- event coordinator, trains, remote switches, crowd barriers
-- John Barnes -- structures, trains, modified track and super-powered train
controllers
-- Nate Jacobs -- (not in attendance) - structures, trains
-- Jim Kovacs -- staffing at the show

And one Guest
-- Ben Medinets of RTLtoronto -- structures, much-needed help with setup and
staffing on the first day.  Did a LOT of talking with the public for us.

Photos will be slow in coming.  No one brought a camera but me, and I use those
cheap disposable kind.  So it will take a few days to get the photos back from
processing (I do the Wal-mart pics on CD thing).  :(

Set-up went well.  We had NO plan for this layout at all and it came together so
very well.  Our biggest problem was the perennial uneven tables provided by the
venue.  But, hey, real life is not smooth and level so why should Lego trains
get it any better than the real thing, right?
Teardown went smoothly, too-- less than 2 hours.  And we had all our transport
vehicles packed and ready to go much sooner than most other vendors and
displays.  And I only tore down one bulding and busted one other thing as far as
I know so far.

Besides the fact that my legs feel like jelly and my feet and back ache, I had a
very good time.  Only six more days until we have to setup another train show.
Look for the announcement of that show soon.

__Kevin Salm__
LUCNY