 Trains / 21307
Re: Maybe No New LEGO Direct Trains? :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:21:01 GMT

Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:

Just read Larry's transcript of Brad's talk at LEGO World and couldn't
help but feel bummed out by this:

Q: where do you want to stand with trains in the future?
A: itÂ’s a great area to work in. Retail liked what direct did, so world
city happened so they could get in on trains. The retail business almost
completely drives product development. I WOULD like to see some track
geometry changes. I am not sure that we need to come out with new trains
in Direct for a while... Make your own train. Make your own pirate ship.
Making new track is harder than new sets. If I had to pick I whould rather
see us do track geometry than new sets, but retail drives product
development.

full transcipt:
http://news.lugnet.com/events/legoworld/?n=30

Maybe I didn't get the point right from this but the impression I have is
that Brad would rather not see LEGO Direct make any new trains (i.e.
locomotives and rolling stock) although they may be forced to (this is
where I'm a not sure)
because of the needs of the retail business.  Brad would rather see us
make our
own trains and have Direct just focus on track geometry.  Since Brad's the
VP I assume this means there aren't any new LEGO Direct trains in the
works right now.

I was at the Q&A session as well, and certainly did NOT get the feeling it's
the end. From what I've heard/seen trains do well, they just won't invest
much in new moulds for them, since THAT money would be better spent on new
track. Maybe other's there can further clarify as well?
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit