 Trains / 21098 (-10)
  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

"Xanthra47" <jmantor@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:HLBF8K.800@lugnet.com... (...) Now that I disagree with. I don't think the standard should bend because we need tall trains. Just make em short. Like Larry said, even some mining carts are (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

Yeah. I'll retract those two rules. They are too limiting. I tried to build a sample train/corridor model and it just doesn't fit : ( I think if we're going to do trains we need to revisit the corridor height/setback again. Even the new 10 brick (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

(...) 1) This requires the coordination and cooperation of the neighboring module. A road requires little infrastructure when compared to rail. (at least when you are looking at moonbase construction) 2) I'm assuming that there is less clearance (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

(...) The NILTC has noted that 6-wide trains are technically 8 with grab bars and protrusions, and 8-wides are technically 10. We adjust our layout clearances accordingly. I think the soft-seal airlocks should be on rack gears, and be able to move (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

(...) This is kind of limiting, especially when designing trains that are supposed to look squat and futuristic. I think train tracks will be fine...people will just need to work out a layout for the Moonbase and all the monorail/trains (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

As promised here's a picture of a simple L-shaped Moonbase layout with 4 train lines in the "road" spaces that can accomodate 36 standard moonbase modules and would fit on 2 3'x6' folding tables : (URL) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

Mike brings up some good points about clearances etc., but I think we can avoid these problems all together with two simple rules : 1. Moonbase trains = six studs wide max. We can make "soft seal" airlocks to allow un-suited moonbase personel to (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Assistance

Quite an impressing system Huw! I'd like a more detailed write-up on it, if time permits. (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains)

  Re: leJOS & LDCC IRP

Thanks to Chris, Mark and Jürgen, I am successfully reading LDCC IRP packets with josx.rcxcomm.LLC! (I say reading, not parsing--haven't had time to clean it up, yet!) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Moonbase: Starting to put up the rail standard

(...) Well I am not a real serious train guy, but I do like them in addition to space so... I think using the exsisting pathways would create all sorts of logistics problems. A train could not be more than 7 wide because we wouldn't want them (...) (21 years ago, 16-Sep-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.trains, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact