 Trains / 21051
Re: The royal train website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:38:17 GMT

Frank,

It's so wonderful to be remembered.  Yes I'm still around... although the Royal
Train website hasn't been updated in a long time.  In 2002 I decided to devote
my (very) limited Lego time to getting the Northern Illinois Lego Train club up
and running.  My NILTC efforts have all been 8-wide implementing a Chicago
theme.  There are a few links to some of my newer work below.  In the meantime
the Royal Train layout is mothballed... although the signature train still makes
occasional railfan excursions on the NILTC layout.  And one of the cases was
used to build a very small RCX-controlled narrow-gauge "feldbahn" display (
http://www.niltc.org/events/shows/2002-03-lagrange/brian/?image=5 ).  This scale
uses Bellvile figures and the track represents small 2-foot gauge construction
trains.  Note the 14-wide standard gauge gondola in the lower left.

- Brian Williams

http://www.niltc.org/events/shows/2003-03-harper/brian/?image=1
- A rear view of down-town Chicago.  You can see the Chicago elevated and
commuter rail yard (metra) below.

- A CTA 2600 series car.  This was my first car to feature aluminum sides
through the use of adhesive backed metal stickers.

- The landmark Chicago Theater and city hall building in the rear.

- Window washers in trouble at Daily Plaza.

http://www.niltc.org/events/shows/2002-12-cantigny/brian/?image=2
- A Chicago-based Metra commuter train pulls out of Chicago Union Station's
south tracks.

- My 9-wide Frisco 1630 steam lok.  The prototype for this (shown) operates at
the Illinois Railway Museum.  This model was displayed at Brickfest last month
by another club member since I couldn't go.  Note the "do not climb" signs
hanging by chains that were photographed and reduced from the prototype.  It
uses wrenches for drive rods, has false-trucks that swing around a single motor
in the center of the tender, and festures a Brio sound unit with
cam-synchronized "chug" and reed-switch operated whistle.