 Trains / 20991
  Smooth power or PWM for Lego train motors?

I've seen the DCC mod some people have made to motors, and read about the overheating problem. Does DCC provide smooth DC to the motor or PWM? If it's PWM, the motor will heat up twice as much as usual. I once tried a 9V train motor with a 12V (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Smooth power or PWM for Lego train motors?

Mark Bellis wrote: > I've seen the DCC mod some people have made to motors, and read about > the overheating problem. the overheating is not due to the use of PWM, but because the task asked from those motors was too great. why do you think long (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Smooth power or PWM for Lego train motors?

(...) Some model railroad companies actually use that sort of DC to power their trains to make them run more smoothly at low speeds... Fleischmann's "MSF" principle is based around converting 50Hz AC to DC with only diodes, and put the non-smoothed (...) (21 years ago, 2-Sep-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Smooth power or PWM for Lego train motors?

(...) Being British I'm not too familiar with American trains (yet), Though I know about the multiple engines in real life. I would intend to triple head trains in a similar way when I have made enough American engines! The motor duty limitation is (...) (21 years ago, 4-Sep-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Smooth power or PWM for Lego train motors?

(...) You could also simply swap the LM317 for a heavier type (LM317K for instance), which could give you around 1000mA uncooled without much issues. Together with Klaas Meijaard we cut up an old home computer power supply, giving 2*11VAC at 22 VA, (...) (21 years ago, 4-Sep-03, to lugnet.trains)